Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Old Fashion Donuts + My Plate Obsession


I am not quite sure where my affinity for beautifully crafted plates originated but perhaps it all started when I was growing up. Ever since I can remember my mom has always had colorful and delicate plates hanging in our kitchen. Her collection from around the world creates a wonderful aesthetic and always keeps me eyes wandering around the walls. 

Anthropologie is a store I will cautiously visit because I literally would buy everything in this store. I recently discovered a collection of Calligrapher Canape Plates with 26 unique and delicately water colored paintings and I was lucky enough to receive them as christmas and birthday gifts this year! I am looking forward to seeing this collection grown and finally getting to use them!


To say I like donuts is a complete understatement because if I had the opportunity I would gladly eat a dozen of them with absolutely no shame! Not to mention if I'm ever in the city before 12 pm I will always make it a point to try and go to either Donut Vault(if I have cash) or Do-Rite-Donut. So now I thought it was my turn to have a go at making these sinful treats!


:INGREDIENTS:
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tspn baking powder
1 tspn salt
1/2 tspn ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBSP butter, at room temperature
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sour cream
Canola oil(for frying)

3 1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1 1/2 tspn corn syrup
1/4 tspn salt
1/2 tspn lemon extract(or vanilla)
1/3 cup hot water



:DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl sift together the cake flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg.

2. In a mixer beat the eggs and sugar together. Then add the egg yolks until well blended. 

3. Add the dry ingredients AND the sour cream alternating between the two. Start with the dry ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for an hour. 

4. On a floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Then using a donut cutter, cut out as many donuts as you can, rolling out the dough a few time with the scraps. 

5. Pour about 2 inches of canola oil into a heavy pan or deep fryer and heat it to 325 degrees. Then toss in 2-3 at a time and cook about 2 minutes on each side. Then lay on paper towel to soak up the excess grease. 

6. For the glaze whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon extract, hot water, corn syrup and salt together until smooth. Then dip the donuts in the glaze and let it sit on the rack for about 10 minutes. 

7. ENJOY!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. These donuts look so pretty and delicious!! I also absolutely adore the plates. Great post! <3

    madeline
    http://madelinemariehall.com/

    ReplyDelete