Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Homemade Protein Bars + Baking With My Kryptonite



I've been on the hunt for a great protein bar recipe for weeks months now. Now in full disclosure I am probably risking my life to make these bars because I am HIGHLY allergic to peanuts, almonds, all that stuff. So why am I making these bars you might ask? My boyfriend eats granola bars every morning for breakfast and there isn't much protein in them so I thought I could probably pretty easily make a protein bar that tastes better than your run of the mill chocolatey protein bar.

I love this recipe because it has all natural ingredients, no preservatives and I can pronounce everything that's put in the bar!


During this entire process I tried my best to not actually touch any of the ingredients, but I had my Epi pen on hand just in case...


:INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats aka Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries*
1/2 cup dried apricots*
1/2 cup pistachios
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2/3 cup cashews

1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 cup (8 oz.) almond butter

*You can substitute the fruits for any dried fruit. I've made them before with blueberries and cherries. 



My almond butter kryptonite…

:DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. 
2. Measure out the almond butter into a microwave safe bowl and put in the microwave for 2 sessions of 18 seconds.
3. Combine the syrup and apple sauce into the bowl with the almond butter and whisk until smooth. 
4.Combine the almond butter mix with the dry mix and mix well.
5. Line an 8x8 baking pan with wax paper then pour the mix into the pan and spread it out evenly.
6. Place in the freezer for at least an hour, hour and a half if you have the time. 


7. Once they've sat in the freezer take it out and lift out the one solid bar by grabbing the wax paper and setting it down on the counter.
8. Use a knife (I used a butcher knife, a little extreme but it got the job done!) to cut the bar into how ever many pieces you like. It can make anywhere between 10-16 bars. 






No comments:

Post a Comment